Pork Meatball Stew
INGREDIENTS FOR 20 MEATBAL
🥘1 Kg #groundpork
🥘4 slices of soft white bread, soaked in water and squeezed
🥘1/4 cup minced parsley
🥘1/4 cup minced basil
🥘2-3 minced garlic cloves
🥘1 tsp salt
🥘1/2 cup od A.P. flour (for dredging)
REST OF INGREDIENTS
🥘1 large leek
🥘2 cups celery
🥘2 cups carrots
🥘2 cups potatoes
🥘2 cups peas
🥘2 cups baby bella, button, shitake, or oyster mushrooms
🥘1/2 cup EVOO
🥘2 tbsp butter
🥘1 cup white wine
🥘500 ml beef or chicken stock
🥘1/4 cup water × 2
🥘2 tbsp of A.P. flour
🥘6 thyme sprigs
🥘4 parsley sprigs
🥘1 rosemary sprig
🥘1 bay leaf
🥘2 tsp salt
1. Mix all ingredients for meatballs (except for flourl) and make 20 meatballs.
2. Heat a wide, heavy pot on medium heat.
3. Dredge meatballs in flour, flattening them slightly.
4. Add oil to hot pot, and brown meatballs in batches. Reserve for later.
5. Add quartered mushrooms, thyme, and 1/4 tsp of salt to the pot and cook until browned.
6. Remove mushrooms and reserve for later.
7. Add butter to the pot and once melted, add the washed and sliced leek.
8. Sauté leeks for a few minutes, then add 1/4 cup of water to soften them.
9. Cook until water evaporates, then add the sliced celery and carrots.
10. Cook for 5 minutes, then add the herbs, potatoes, and 1/4 tsp of salt.
11. Cook for 5 minutes, then add the meatballs right on top if the veggies.
12. Add the wine and stock, cover, and cook for 10 minutes, or until the potatoes or tender.
13. Once potatoes are done, add the peas and mushrooms, gently stir and cook covered for 5 minutes.
14. Mix 1/4 cup of water with the 2 tbsp of flour to make a paste.
15. Pour the paste in the middle of the stew and gently stir.
16. Cook for another 5 minutes, or until the raw flour taste cooks out.
17. Taste for seasoning, add more salt if necessary. Let sit for 5-10 minutes and serve. Buon Appetito Amici!