Porcini Mushrooms Chicken Pot Pie
Updated: Feb 10
INGREDIENTS FOR TWO 9" PIES (10-12 SERVINGS)
-3 lbs whole chicken roasted or cooked in stock (4 cups shredded chicken)
-4 homemade or store bought raw pie crusts
-4 celery stalks
-2 garlic cloves
-3 medium baked or boiled potatoes
-4 medium roasted or steamed carrots
-1 cup frozen peas
-2 bay leaves
-3 thyme sprigs
-1/4 cup minced parsley
-1/2 cup white wine
-1/2 cup dried porcini mushrooms
-1 L chicken stock
-1/2 cup butter
-1/2 cup flour
-1 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp black pepper
1. Add the porcini mushrooms to the hot chicken stock and let them reconstitute for 30 minutes.
2. Melt butter in a large pot and add sliced leeks that have been thoroughly washed as well as chopped, celery.
3. Add salt, 1/4 cup of water, cover and cook until softened.
4. Once softened, add the herbs and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
5. Add flour and cook for a couple of minutes then add white wine.
6. Remove porcini from stock with a slotted spoon, chop them and set them aside.
7. Strain porcini infused chicken stock through a fine sieve lined with cheesecloth or a coffee filter.
8. Add hot stock to the pot while whisking.
9. Once thickened, add the chopped chicken, diced potatoes and carrots, peas and porcini.
10. Remove herbs and add minced parsley and black pepper.
11. Stir and cook for 5 minutes on low.
12. Fill two 9" pie dishes to the top, cover with crust, brush with eggwash, and bake for 1 hour at 350F°.
Or until crust is crispy, golden and completely cooked throughout.