Pasta e Fagioli
Updated: Jan 8
My favorite legume and pasta dish! The ultimate Cucina Povera dish, but nothing poor about the flavor of Past E Fasul! This hearty, one-pot meal is easy, affordable, and super delicious. I grew up eating all sorts of legumes and vegetables with pasta.
This is a great way to get your proteins if you're on a plant-based diet or if you're limiting your meat intake.
INGREDIENTS 4-6 SERVINGS
-2 cups dried cannellini or borlotti (you can use canned, in which case you will not be using the vegetables)
-1 Cup San Marzano tomatoes(or passata, or fresh tomato)
-300 g tubetti, cut up spaghetti, pasta mista, or any small cut of pasta
-1/4 to 1/2 of EVOO
-2 Celery stalks
-1 Small onion
-4 garlic cloves
-2 Thyme sprigs
-3 Parsley sprigs
-Chili pepper flakes or fresh chili (optional)
-2 tsp Salt
1.Soak beans in a bowl of water overnight.
2. Drain beans, add them to a pot with 2-3 L of water, and simmer with herbs, veggies, and 2 garlic cloves, between 3-4 hours or until tender.
3. Once soft, remove herbs and veggies. Skip all the previous steps if you're using canned beans.
4. In a large pot, sauté the remaining 2 garlic cloves in the EVOO until fragrant.
5. Add the tomatoes, cook for a minute or so, then add the beans with 2 liters of water and simmer for 15 minutes to allow the flavor to marry.
6. Once liquid is boiling, add some salt and add your pasta.
7. You might have to add more boiling water if broth is too thick.
8. Cook until aldente, taste for seasoning, then let sit fot 5 minutes.
9. Plate, top with minced parsley and chili pepper, and enjoy! Parmigiano is optional! Buon Appetito Amici!