ITALIAN STYLE TURKEY MEATLOAF
Growing, my mom made this Polpettone di Tacchino, almost every week and we loved it! It's a great alternative to red meat, and by using half dark and half white meat, the result is a delicious moist meatloaf.
The recipe makes one large meatloaf plus a tray of mini meatballs for soup.
-2kg ground ground turkey ( I used 1/2 turkey breast and 1/2 turkey thighs)
-1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano
-1/2 cup Pecorino Romano
-Stale bread (about 8 slices white bread or 2 large ciabatta buns)
-3 cloves fresh garlic
-1/2 cup Italian flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
-2 tsp salt
-250 g shredded mozzarella
-250 prosciutto cotto
-250 ml white wine
-500 ml chicken stock
-1/4 Cup EVOO
-2 Tbs flour
1. Soak bread
2. Squeeze all water out of bread and add to the meat with the rest of the ingredients
3. Mix with your hands until well combined
4. Reserve 1/4 of the mixture for mini meatballs, which you will roll, place on a parchment lined baking sheet and freeze. You can add them to soup from frozen.
5. Spread the rest of the mixture on a parchment lined baking sheet
6. Add the prosciutto cotto and mozzarella
7. Roll the meatloaf into a tight cylinder with the help of the parchment paper
8. Twist the ends, tuck them under and transfer meatloaf to a baking pan
9. Add a glass of water and roast at 375F°
Until internal temperature reaches 165F° or about 1.5 hours
10. Take paper off, pour EVOO on top and broil for 10 minutes
11. Remove meatloaf from pan and deglaze pan with white wine
12. Once alcohol has evaporated, mix cold stock and flour and pour in the pan, stirring
13. Once gravy has thickened, strain it and pour it in a gravy boat
14. Let the meatloaf rest for 10 minutes, slice and serve!
Buon Appetito Amici!❤🇮🇹