Easy Chicken Cacciatora
There are literally hundreds of recipes for chicken alla cacciatora out there, olives, no olives, mushrooms, no mushrooms, soffritto, etc. This is my "no fuss no muss" version.
No babysitting required and the results are just as delicious!
INGREDIENTS FOR 8
-8 Chicken legs
-1 large onion
-2 red bell peppers
-2 cups ripe cherry or grape tomatoes
-One 28oz can of San Marzano
-1/2 cup of dried porcini mushrooms
-1 cup of white wine
-1/4 cup EVOO
-2 garlic cloves
-1 rosemary sprig
-2-3 thyme sprigs
-Basil for garnishing (optional, hut recommended)
-1-2 tsp of salt
1. Soak porcini mushrooms in 1 cup of hot water.
2. While mushrooms soak, heat up a large pan.
3. Add oil to the pan, season the chicken legs with salt, brown them on both sides, and place them in a roasting pan.
4. Add the sliced onion to the same pan with a pinch of salt and cook for a few minutes.
5. Add the sliced peppers to the onion with a little more salt, the whole garlic, the herbs, stir and add the wine.
6. Cook for a few minutes, then add the grape tomatoes and the crushed San Marzano tomatoes.
7. Stir, add the chopped porcini mushrooms and the soaking liquid which has been strained through a cheese cloth or coffee filter.
8. Ladel the sauce on top of the chicken, cover with foil and bake at 400F° for 1.5 hours, uncover and broil for 10 minutes.
9. Serve with crusty bread, mashed potatoes, rice or toss some short pasta with the sauce, sooo delicious!
Buon Appetito Amici!