Braised Pork Shoulder
-3kg pork shoulder
-750 ml red wine
-2 medium carrots
-2 celery stalks
-2 large shallots
-8 garlic cloves
-A bouquet garnis (thyme, rosemary, sage, parlsey, bayleaf)
-Extra thyme and rosemary
-100 ml of EVOO
-4 tsp of salt
-2 tsp pepper
1. Place a large Dutch oven on medium heat, and heat the oven to 350F°
2. Peel and slice the garlic in thin slices
3. Make thin, deep slits in the pork and insert a slice of garlic in each slit
4. Drizzle 1/3 of the oil on the roast, sprinkle with 1/2 the salt and pepper and thr extra herbs
5. Repeat on the other side
6. Cut the vegetables in 1" pieces
7. Sear the meat on both side, add the vegetables, the wine and the bouquet garnis
8. Cover with the lid and place in the oven for 3 hours, checking after every hour
9. Once the 3 hours have passed, take the roast out of the oven, uncover and check tenderness by shredding it with 2 forks. I like mine not completely falling apart, so I can serve it in nice pieces, but you can cook it a little longer if you're using it for pulled pork sandwiches.
I thicken the juices with a slurry of flour or corn starch and stock.
The leftovers are perfect for soup, sandwiches, meat pies, tortellini filling, and as a pasta sauce.
I hope you try it, it's delicious!