Updated: Feb 11
Stunningly beautiful, and absolutely delicious!
This is one of the recipes that will be included in the "fancy but easy" section of the cookbook my sister and I are working on.
It literally takes 20 minutes from start to plating, provided you have your mise en place set-up, which is essential when entertaining!! Something we will also address in the book.
The day before, you will peel, boil and puree approximately 400gr of beets, and reserve the cooking liquid.
INGREDIENTS FOR 2
▪️160 gr arborio or carnaroli rice
▪️1/2 cup beet puree
▪️1 cup beet cooking liquid
▪️1/2 cup white wine
▪️1 L stock (approximately)
▪️1/4 cup EVOO
▪️1 small shallot
▪️50 g cold, cubed butter
▪️1/3 cup Parmigiano Reggiano
▪️4-5 thyme sprigs
▪️1 tsp salt (adjust to your liking)
▪️3 tbsp chopped walnuts
▪️6 cloves of black garlic
▪️50 g of creamy goat cheese
1.Heat your stock.
2. Mince shallot, and sauté in a wide pan or pot with the EVOO.
3. Once shallot is soft, add the rice and thyme and toast for a few minutes.
4. Add white wine and let evaporate.
5.Add the beet cooking liquid and stir until absorbed.
5. Once absorbed, add a ladel of stock and stir until the stock is absorbed.
6. Keep adding stock and stirring until rice is almost al dente.
7. Add the beet puree and stir.
8. Once rice is al dente, turn off the heat and add the cold, cubed butter, Parmigiano, and manteca.
9.Rest for a couple of minutes before serving.
10. If it has dried and become sticky, add a little more stock and stir.
11.Then plate, garnish with the goat cheese, walnuts and black garlic, which you will mash with a couple of tbsp of hot stock.
*Mantecare means to stir everything together with cold butter and cheese so it emulsifies and becomes creamy.
Risotto should be cooked just before serving it. The kernel should still have a bite in the middle. Consistency should be creamy, not stiff, it should tend to spread rather than stay put.
Try it and let me know what you think!
Buon Appetito Amici 💜